lundi 15 décembre 2014

Ivan Brunetti, Couverture de The New Yorker, 15 décembre 2014

A l'approche des fêtes de fin d'année, Ivan Brunetti nous offre sa couverture du New Yorker de Noël, daté 15 décembre 2014.

© Ivan Brunetti / The New Yorker

Sur le site de l'hebdomadaire l'artiste nous donne son explication de la couverture : 

“Even though I secretly aspire to a de-cluttered apartment, the lower one pictured is what I identify with,” Ivan Brunetti said about this week’s cover. “I know that the dense remnants of the twentieth century can now be fitted into a few small devices; yet in my so-called real life, I have continually accumulated more and more impedimenta, trappings, and just plain stuff.”

Brunetti is aware that his own drawings are becoming more sparse and minimalist as time passes: “Yes, but this was neither intended nor desired. I wish the trend had seeped somewhat into my real life. Luckily, the urge to amass a womblike hodgepodge of collected ephemera, toys, etc., has been counterbalanced by a compulsion for tidying and straightening, which has kept me from entirely succumbing to the tailspin of uncleanliness and disorder.”

He continued, “I think a stark, austere apartment is no better or worse than a jam-packed, chock-full apartment. Either can reflect some visible effort toward curating, editing, reducing, condensing, maybe even an occasional purging. A deleted item is akin to a discarded bay leaf in the cooking process, its tart effect still felt. Then again, sometimes you need to add a lot of parsley.”

(texte © Ivan Brunetti / The New Yorker)




Aucun commentaire: